top of page

What paperwork should I bring as a NEW CLIENT? 

Personal Information for each Taxpayer and Dependent listed on return

  • Name

  • Social Security Card

  • Previous 2 years Tax Returns filed

  • Valid Government Issued ID

  • Birth Certificate (dependent)


Income & Tax Information

  •  W-2s

  • Interest

    • 1099-INT 

  • Dividends

    • 1099-DIV 

  • Stock Sales

    • 1099-B 

  • Self-Employment Income and Expenses

    • 1099-NEC​

  • Sale of a Personal Residence

    • Closing Disclosure, HUD, or ALTA statement

  • Rental Property

    • Income and Expenses

  • Sale of any Business Assets

  • Gambling or Lottery Winnings

    • W-2G for some winnings

  • State Income Tax Refund

    • 1099-G

  • Retirement or Pension Income

    • 1099-R

  • Estimated Taxes Paid

    • Federal & State​

  • Social Security or Railroad Retirement

    • SSA-1099 or RRB-1099

  • IRA or 401(k) Distribution

    • 1099-R

  • Unemployment Compensation

    • 1099-G

  • Miscellaneous Income

    • 1099-MISC

Deductions/ Adjustments

  • Medical Expenses

  • Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes

  • Mortgage Interest

  • Charitable Contributions (cash and non-cash)

  • Gambling Losses (if you have winnings)

  • Traditional Roth IRA Contributions

  • Higher Education Expenses

  • Educator Expenses

  • Student Loan Paid Interest 

  • Tax Preparation Fees

Tax Credits

  • Dependent Care Credit ​​

    • Childcare Provider tax statement to include address, EIN, and total amount paid

  • Adoption Credit

Common Questions


Q: What is the user name for my CLIENT DOCUMENT PORTAL?

A: The user name is the first and last name with no spaces of the primary taxpayer on the tax return.  ex: johnsmith


Q: What if I can not remember the password for my CLIENT DOCUMENT PORTAL?

A:  There is a reset password link on the log in page that will assist you in resetting the password for your portal.


Q: What if I can't remember all the items I need to bring to prepare my taxes?


A: Our tax organizer is the best way to see what information was contained on your prior year tax return. 

    Organizers are uploaded to your client portal by the 3rd week of January. 


Q:  What documents do I need if I have a mortgage?

A:  Your mortgage company should send you Form 1098 which reports the mortgage interest you paid. 


Q: What documents do I need if I am unemployed?

A:  If you received unemployment benefits from your state over the past year, you must claim that as income and, therefore, pay taxes on those benefits. The unemployment agency should provide you with a 1099-G form, which explains the amount of benefits you drew during the past year. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) receives a copy as well and will tax you at the appropriate rate in your tax bracket. Not everyone owes. If you worked a portion of the past year, chances are you paid payroll taxes and may earn a refund if those deductions were overpaid.


Q:  What documents do I need if I am self-employed?


A:  You will need to file a Schedule C using IRS Form 1040. Depending on your type of business and where you conduct business, there may be other forms you will need. You may also need to make quarterly estimated payments by filing Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals.


Q:  How can I check the status of my refund?

A:  The 'Where’s My Refund' tool on the IRS website provides the most up-to-date information regarding the status of your refund. This tool is updated every 24 hours.


Q:  Can I deduct expenses paid for repairing my home?

A:  Typically, general home repairs cannot be deducted from your taxes. Home repairs are meant to keep your home in good condition, but do not increase the value of your home. However, if you live in a “federally declared disaster area” and your home is affected, then you can claim the cost to repair the damages. If you use part of your home as a principal place of business, some repairs can be deducted.


Q:  Can I claim charitable donations without a receipt?

A:  Maybe, for ALL donations you must keep good records in case you are ever audited by the IRS. Be sure to record the name of the organization, the date and location, as well as a detailed description of what you donated. Keep notes on the amount you claimed as a deduction and how you figured the fair market value on the items you donated.  Monetary donations of $250 or more require a written receipt from the charity, which must be dated earlier than the date you file your tax return. 


Q:  Why is my refund less than I expected?

A:  Many factors can contribute to why your refund is less than you expected. You have to consider the three elements that define a refund: your taxable income, the amount withheld from your paycheck for federal and state taxes, and your tax rate. If you aren’t getting as much money back try to look on the bright side – you didn’t give the IRS a zero-interest loan.   

Which Tax Return type do I file for my business?

bottom of page